BP – Residential Counselor (San Jose Place) (Union Position)
The Residential Counselor provides 24-hour support and counseling services to an adult population with psychiatric, substance abuse and/or HIV-AIDS related disabilities. Residential counselors advocate for and respond to clients’ treatment and rehabilitation needs. All agency services are provided from the philosophy of social rehabilitation, which integrates teaching daily living skills in a safe and healthy environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform intake interviews and assist with client treatment plan development, implementation and discharge planning.
- Assess the clinical needs of resident clients.
- Evaluate clients for potential crisis situations and determine appropriate intervention.
- Conduct individual and group counseling sessions as assigned.
- Monitor and document clients’ progress toward achievement of individual goals.
- Record clinical notes and hourly rounds to meet Medi-Cal standards and licensure requirements.
- Maintain shift coverage and primary supervision and support of residential clients.
- Act as a role model – guiding clients and facilitating appropriate behavior about daily living skills, self-care, personal interaction, social relationships and constructive time management.
- Facilitate and supervise clients with residential house chores, meal preparation, and group activities.
- Ensure that clients are linked with a primary care provider and assist with identifying and accessing community resources.
- Participate in staff and shift change meetings.
- Maintain professional boundaries with clients and staff.
- Maintain agency 30 hour per year staff development training requirement.
- Other duties as assigned.
Must be able to navigate several flights of stairs many times a day. Must be able to carry a regular size grocery bag from the car into the house. Responsible to physically respond to client needs in the event of a crisis situation.
AA degree preferred but not required. At least one year experience working with adults who have mental health or substance abuse problems. The following Baker Places, Inc. treatment programs require a DOJ clearance: Jo Ruffin Place, Grove Street, Odyssey House, Robertson Place, and Baker Street House.
This Residential Mental Health Counselor position will be supporting our clients at our San Jose Place location. San Jose Place is a 11 bed license, transitional residential treatment program with a day treatment component focusing on adults who have been diagnosed with co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders.
Thursday: 9am-11:00am (staff meeting) & 2:30pm-10:30pm
If interested in this employment opportunity please e-mail your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 415-864-4089. If sending your resume/cover letter via e-mail, please send it as a Microsoft Word document or in PDF form.