PRC – Staff Attorney – Disability Advocacy
The Staff Attorney provides legal representation to low-income individuals living with HIV and /or mental health issues to secure disability income and health insurance benefits. Additional populations served include LGBTQ, homeless and/or at risk of homelessness, non-English speaking, and other at-risk communities.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Assessment: Performs individual assessment of needs related to public disability benefits and healthcare access. Helps identify and assist in breaking barriers to benefits, including Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)/Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medi-Cal, Medicare, private insurance through Covered California, AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), Office of AIDS Health Insurance Premium Payment (OA-HIPP), etc. Works with clients using a Harm Reduction approach.
- Benefits Advocacy: Provides direct legal assistance and representation to clients. Helps clients apply for public disability benefits such as SSI, SSDI, and CAPI as well as address other health insurance and related issues including Medicare and Medi-Cal. Advocates for clients throughout the claims process, negotiating with SSA and disability analysts as needed. Develops/obtains supporting medical evidence. Files appeals and appropriate paperwork.
- Hearings: Prepares cases for appeal and appears before Administrative Law Judges or other tribunals. Files documents for appeals process. Develops/obtains supporting evidence. Performs legal research. Writes pre- and post-hearing legal briefs. Prepares clients for testimony. Prepares questions for cross-examination of expert witnesses. Appeals unfavorable decisions to Appeals Council or other appellate bodies.
- File Management: Creates and maintains confidential client files detailing documents and laws/policies reviewed, correspondence prepared on behalf of the client, and case progress. Updates and maintains client records in case management and billing database.
- Training: Provides consumer and provider trainings/outreach as requested.
- Special Projects: Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Active member of the California State Bar required.
- Two (2) years of public benefits or healthcare advocacy experience preferred.
- Ability in maintaining computer databases on a regular basis with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, and state and federal laws regarding disability benefits (SSI, SSDI, OA-HIPP, ADAP, Covered California, Medi-Cal, Medicare, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBT community essential.
- Ability to work effectively with service providers.
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
- Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Vietnamese or Russian) highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
Full-time exempt position. Competitive salary plus medical, dental, short/long term disability, life insurance, employer matching contributions to 403(b) retirement, Bar dues, and professional development.
Submit a resume and cover letter via email to: HumanResources@prcsf.org. Please include Job Code: SAPRC419in the subject line of your email, when applying.
People living with HIV/AIDS or other disabilities, people of color and people who are bilingual/bicultural are strongly encouraged to apply.