PRC – Legal Assistant — Equal Access to Healthcare (Full Time, Non Exempt)
The Legal Assistant provides assistance to attorneys and advocates who represent low-income clients to achieve income and health insurance benefits (SSI, SSDI, CAPI, Covered CA, Medi-Cal, Medicare, ADAP, etc.).
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Benefits Advocacy: Assists Benefits Counseling Program staff in helping clients to apply for public benefits and health insurance while navigating other benefits-related issues. Assists with following claims throughout the process. Assists with filing appropriate paperwork and obtaining supporting medical evidence. Screens calls for consultations and intakes.
- Hearings: Assists program staff with case preparation for appeals before Administrative Law Judges or other tribunals, including filing documents for appeals process and obtaining supporting medical evidence.
- File Management: Assists the program staff in maintaining confidential client files. Maintains accurate and updated case management and billing database. Calendars deadlines and assists program staff in meeting deadlines.
- Community Trainings: Assists with setting up community training events including sending out invitations, registration, room set-up/clean-up, etc.
- Administrative Assistance: Full range of administrative tasks including filing, faxing, copying, scheduling, intake screening, etc. Additional administrative tasks and projects as assigned.
- A. and/or experience in legal assistance combined with administrative and computer skills required.
- Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Russian or Arabic) highly desirable.
- Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBTQ community essential.
- Ability to work effectively with attorneys and service providers required.
- Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, and state and federal laws regarding disability benefits preferred.
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time nonexempt position. PRC offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, and vision insurance for e employees and their eligible spouse/children, as well as employer matching contributions to 403(b) plan, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, short/long-term disability, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Submit a resume and cover letter to: PRC, Attn. Human Resources, 785 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103; or email HumanResources@prcsf.org. Please include Job Code: “PRCLA19” in the subject line of your email, when applying.
PRC is an Equal Opportunity employer. We actively seek applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, LGBTQ individuals, and other disabilities, people of color, and people who are bilingual / bicultural.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.