PRC – Staff Attorney (Full-time, Exempt)
The Staff Attorney provides legal representation to homeless and low-income clients living with HIV and/or mental health issues to secure disability income and health insurance benefits.
- Assessment: Performs individual needs assessments related to disability-related benefits and healthcare access. Helps identify and assist in breaking barriers to benefits, including accessing medical care, health insurance, treatments and psychiatric and/or psychological evaluations. Works with clients using a Harm Reduction approach.
- Benefits Advocacy: Provides direct legal assistance and representation to clients, focusing on serving S.F.’s homeless population. Helps clients apply for public benefits (General Assistance, SSI, SSDI, CAPI), and/or handles other healthcare access and benefits-related issues. Performs off-site intakes at shelters, navigation centers, and other locations. Conducts outreach to engage and re-engage clients in the pursuit of disability benefits. Follows claims throughout the application process. Advocates for clients with the Social Security Administration, disability analysts, and other governmental or private entities. Files appropriate paperwork and develops/obtains evidence.
- Hearings: Prepares cases for appeal and appears before Administrative Law Judges or other judicial bodies. Files documents for appeals process. Develops/obtains supporting medical evidence. Performs legal research. Writes pre- and post-hearings legal briefs. Prepares clients for testimony. Conducts hearings. Cross examines experts. Appeals unfavorable decisions to Appeals Council or other appellate bodies.
- File Management: Creates and maintains confidential client files detailing documents and laws/policies reviewed, correspondence prepared on behalf of the client, and case progress. Updates and maintains client records in case management and billing system.
- Training: Provides consumer and provider trainings/outreach as requested.
- Special Projects: Assists with special projects as assigned.
- Active member of the California State Bar.
- Minimum two years of SSI/SSDI advocacy experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to maintain case management databases and systems with minimal supervision.
- Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBT community.
- Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, homelessness issues, and state and federal programs related to disability benefits and healthcare access (OA-HIPP, ADAP, SSI, SSDI, Covered California, Medi-Cal, Medicare) strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
- Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Vietnamese or Russian) highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position. PRC offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, and vision insurance for full-time employees and their eligible spouse/children, as well as employer matching contributions to 403(b) plan, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, short/long-term disability, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Submit a resume and cover letter to: PRC, Attn. Chuan Teng, 785 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103; or email HumanResources@prcsf.org. Please include Job Code: “PRCTPBSA” in the subject line of your email, when applying.
PRC is an Equal Opportunity employer. We actively seek applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, LGBTQ individuals, and other disabilities, people of color, and people who are bilingual / bicultural.