The Legal Assistant provides administrative assistance to attorneys and advocates who represent low-income clients to achieve health insurance and income benefits (SSI, SSDI, CAPI, Covered CA, Medi-Cal, Medicare, etc.).
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Benefits Advocacy: Assists Benefits Counseling Program staff in assisting clients to apply for public benefits, as well as with other health insurance and income benefits related issues. Assists with following claims throughout the process. Assists with filing appropriate paperwork and obtaining supporting medical evidence. Participates in weekly meetings with the SSA representatives.
- Hearings: Assists program staff with case preparation for appeals before Administrative Law Judges or other tribunals, including filing documents for appeals process and obtaining supporting medical evidence.
- File Management: Assists the program staff in maintaining confidential client files. Maintains benefits status database. Calendars deadlines and assists program staff in meeting deadlines.
- Administrative Assistance: Full range of administrative support including filing, faxing, copying, scheduling, and intake screening. Additional administrative tasks and projects as assigned.
- A. and/or experience in legal assistance combined with administrative and computer skills required.
- Bilingual and bicultural (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Russian or Arabic) highly desirable.
- Ability to be sensitive to and work well with low-income individuals, people with psychiatric disabilities, people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, active drug users, people with a history of homelessness or incarceration, and people in the LGBT community essential.
- Ability to work effectively with attorneys and service providers required.
- Familiarity with mental health issues, HIV/AIDS, and state and federal laws regarding disability benefits preferred.
- Knowledge of Harm Reduction theory and practice as applied to legal services preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a Full-time non-exempt position. PRC offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, and vision insurance for full-time employees and their eligible spouse/Domestic Partner/children, as well as employer matching contributions to 403(b) plan, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, short/long-term disability, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Submit a resume and cover letter to: HumanResources@prcsf.org. Please include Job Code: “PRCLA0518” in the subject line of your email, when applying.
PRC is an Equal Opportunity employer. We actively seek applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, LGBTQ individuals, and other disabilities, people of color, and people who are bilingual / bicultural