He had a dream . . .
In observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, PRC encourages everyone to find ways to serve their community; even during the COVID-19 pandemic, there are creative ways to impact the community positively.
10 Ways to Serve the Community
- Take care of yourself and others: Practice patience, kindness, and mindfulness. Encourage others to do the same!
- Stay informed and calm: Only share information from credible sources like the local SF Dept. Public Health, state department of health or the CDC. Remember, when you stay calm, others will follow.
- Protect yourself and others: As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact our daily lives, the most important way to serve the community is to help stop the spread of COVID -19: following mask mandates, adhering to travel restrictions, and maintaining social distancing.
- Donate blood: Blood levels are at dire low levels, the need for blood donations is high. Donation centers have safe, healthy ways for you to donate. How to make an appointment in SF
- Become a pen pal: Make an intentional effort to reach out to communicate with family, friends, those you have not talked to in a while to stay connected. It could be as simple as sending a positive affirmation note or postcard. Everyone enjoys receiving actual positive mail. (Organizations such as Home Instead, Project PenPal, Village Concepts, and many more have programs to match you with someone.)
- Support local businesses: When possible, purchase gift cards to local shops businesses, and uplift those trying to keep afloat.
- Organize a neighborhood cleanup: Walking a few blocks or in a local park to pick up the trash can make a big difference! (SF Public Works, SF Bay Keepers, SF Recreation & Parks, etc. all have volunteer programs)
- Organize a warm clothing drive: Local gently used clothing or household goods to local organizations with a mission to provide needed items to those in need and career opportunities to those moving forward: St. Anthony’s, Community Thrift, Salvation Army, or Goodwill.
- Volunteer at a local Food Bank or Dining Hall: Volunteer to help at the local food bank or dining halls that serve the unhoused in San Francisco (i.e., GLIDE, St. Anthony’s, or SF-Marin Food Bank and other organizations serving those in need.)
- Donate: Non-profit community organizations need monetary gifts to make possible the essential work they do in our community. At PRC, we assist our community’s most vulnerable individuals through emergency financial assistance, residential behavioral health treatment, legal advocacy for access to necessary income and healthcare benefits, workforce development, social services, counseling, and supportive housing to effectively lift people up out of poverty, addiction, illness, and homelessness and offer them hope and a path to new opportunities. Consider supporting PRC in this important work.
Need some more inspiration? Check out these video references of Dr. King’s speeches:
- I Have a Dream speech by Martin Luther King, Jr. via Rare Facts on YouTube: http://tiny.cc/I_Have_A_Dream_63
- Martin Luther King, Jr., “What Is Your Life’s Blueprint?” via Beacon Press on YouTube: http://tiny.cc/MLK_Blue_Print
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: A Leader and a Hero by Scholastic: